Friday, February 26, 2010

I mentioned at the beginning of this week that I just had to try this tutorial and make a tent for my youngster's impending 2ND birthday. I have, and she absolutely adores it as do her siblings. I have a couple of suggestions. Use thicker/heavier thrifted sheets and tack the sheets at the bottom somehow. As soon as I find a good way I will let you know but I am thinking of closing off the channel for the pole at the bottom so they don't slide out.

I used the $4 sheets that I found at my local Walmart. Unfortunately they were microfiber and such a pain to sew with, not to mention they run and pulled like crazy. I will be making another with a thrifted sheet that is thicker and hopefully stiffer, or a light weight denim. I used wooden dowels and they work well, I do however have to get DH to drill the holes but a ribbon is doing an admirable job of holding the poles together. All in all a fun easy project. I completed it in one morning with a minimum of fuss. Definitely give it a try. :)


And this was the lovely winter weather that was going on. Thought that tree was going to come down it was so windy.


If you make this project stop by and leave me a link. I would love to see your versions!



7 comments:

Leslie said...

we got a ton of snow as well! the tent is so cute. i bet your kiddo loves it

Skooks said...

Thanks for sharing this. A friend of mine saw that tute and wanted to try it . . . I'll give her the heads up about your tips. :)

Susan said...

I loved seeing your version of the tent! Thanks for sharing pics and tips! Definately sew up the bottom of the pockets to keep your rods in! And I totally agree about the microfiber versions-you definately need cotton!

Care said...

The tent is fabulous! Your daughter looks completely thrilled with it!

I'd LOVE for you to add a photo of it to my ObsessivelyStitched photo pool on Flickr, if you're interested... There's a link on my sidebar! :o) :o)

YAY for tents!!

Skooks said...

Hey, I gave you a little shout out on my latest blog post. :)
http://skooksplayground.blogspot.com/2010/03/may-i-have-envelope-please.html

En fugl i hånden said...

Hi, I left a comment on the post with the melrose blossom bag :)

Courtney said...

Great idea, and she is beautiful!!